from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The habit or characteristic of doing things without delay.
- n. The habit of adhering to a designated time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Promptitude; readiness; quickness of decision or action.
- n. Cheerful willingness; alacrity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being prompt; readiness; quickness of decision or action; especially, quickness of action in executing a decision; cheerful willingness; alacrity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the characteristic of doing things without delay
- n. the quality or habit of adhering to an appointed time
He recalled his promptness of resource and readiness for action.
"Well, sir, I feel that I owe you a great deal; perhaps more than I realize, as I recall your promptness on that memorable night of the storm."
Here, on the contrary, your volunteers "do their spiriting gently:" all is good-nature and good manners; and a front is diminished, or a column of companies in line of march is eased off to the right or left to make way for carts or coaches, as the case requires, with a promptness which is the more creditable from the fact that the execution of a change in movement is no light matter.
Bryan said that the removal of the demand for 'promptness' also gave companies more certainty.
It said that the 'promptness' criterion, which was up to a court's discretion, was not compatible with the Directive.
And honestly, I tend to agree with Marvel when it comes to the 'late or half assed' question, DC seems to think promptness covers up for mediocrity.
And with equal promptness came the "Eight hundred," of the voyageur.
Upon its promptness rests its existence, for if it sits idly by, soothfully proclaiming that what ought not to be cannot be, it will find the roof beams crashing about its head.
Apart from creative excellence, what do past/current clients say about our service, promptness, attention to detail … our ability to “get it right”.
Out-of-hours care is extremely variable in terms of promptness of response and the level of reassurance given to patients.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.