from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of approving.
- n. An official approbation; a sanction.
- n. Favorable regard; commendation.
- idiom on approval For examination or trial by a customer without the obligation to buy: took the dress on approval.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expression granting permission; an indication of agreement with a proposal; an acknowledgement that a person, thing, or event meets requirements.
- n. An expression of favorable acceptance and encouragement; a compliment that also condones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Approbation; sanction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of approving; approbation; commendation; sanction; ratification.
- n. Synonyms Approbation, Approval (see approbation), acceptance, consent, authorization.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. acceptance as satisfactory
- n. a feeling of liking something or someone good
- n. a message expressing a favorable opinion
- n. the formal act of approving
approve + -al (Wiktionary)