from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgment of another.
- n. Courteous respect. See Synonyms at honor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Great respect.
- n. The willingness to carry out the wishes of others.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A yielding of judgment or preference from respect to the wishes or opinion of another; submission in opinion; regard; respect; complaisance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A yielding in opinion; submission to the opinion, judgment, or wish of another; hence, regard, respect, or submission in general: as, a blind deference to authority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard
- n. courteous regard for people's feelings
- n. a disposition or tendency to yield to the will of others
Sorry, no etymologies found.