from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being passive; inactivity, quiescence, or submissiveness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being passive.
- n. Submissiveness.
- n. A lack of initiative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Passiveness; -- opposed to activity.
- n. The tendency of a body to remain in a given state, either of motion or rest, till disturbed by another body; inertia.
- n. The quality or condition of any substance which has no inclination to chemical activity; inactivity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as passiveness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the trait of remaining inactive; a lack of initiative
- n. submission to others or to outside influences
passive + -ity (Wiktionary)