from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Spiritual torpor and apathy; ennui.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. spiritual or mental sloth.
- n. apathy; a lack of care or interest; indifference
- n. boredom
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abnormal mental condition, characterized by carelessness, listlessness, fatigue, and want of interest in affairs.
- n. A Cuban name for a species of tongue-fish or sole, Symphurus plagusia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins)
Late Latin, from Greek akēdeia, indifference : a-, a-; see a-1 + kēdos, care.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)