from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deep, lethargic, or unnatural sleep.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an unnaturally deep sleep
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Profound sleep from which a person can be roused only with difficulty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deep, unnatural sleep; lethargy; stupor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a torpid state resembling deep sleep
Latin; see swep- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)