American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being inane.
- n. Something empty of meaning or sense.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being inane. Emptiness; vacuity.
- n. Mental vacuity; senselessness; silliness; frivolity.
- n. Hollowness; worthlessness.
- n. An instance of frivolity or vanity: as, the inanities of his conversation.
- n. uncountable The property of being inane, of lacking material of interest or satisfaction, emptiness.
- n. Something that is inane.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Inanition; void space; vacuity; emptiness.
- n. Lack of seriousness; aimlessness; frivolity.
- n. An inane, useless thing or pursuit; a vanity; a silly object; -- chiefly in pl..
- n. total lack of meaning or ideas
“A stern, deep voice which utters an egotistical inanity is still stern and deep (deep sounding, anyway).”
“But what makes these letters rise above inanity is the portrait they provide of a wartime capital cut adrift from moral bearings.”
“What you call inanity is yet another demonstration of a subject you have no clue about.”
“If putting up with your inanity is one of the conditions of eternal life, I think I’ll take my chances with mortality.”
“The House voted 55-42 along party lines to strip Daniel G. LeBlanc from a measure confirming Mr. Kaine's 34 agency head appointments and his chief of staff. linkOf course, Governor Kaine reacts with what can only be described as inanity:”
“Then he recalled the inanity and exacting requests of the great lady, and guessed how her reader was able to so boldly play his annoying trick.”
“And I'd even go so far as to say that nothing was more political than this sovereign and slightly unreasonable decision, qualified by some we shall be kind enough not to mention here as an "inanity" or a "crime" or a bet that was "lost in advance", to craft something European through the shared efforts of two national workshops.”
“It's very easy to laugh at this kind of inanity (and insanity) that Melanie describes.”
“I know, I know, it was totally ridiculous to run what was in effect a marketing campaign for the book and then not have it available - but that's the kind of inanity that happens in the publishing business.”
“Here, one would have thought, is a worthy alternative to what Sam Leith refers to the "inanity" of much contemporary tv.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inanity’.
words I saw while reading the Bike Snob
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Going through the Magoosh website, words I pulled from the verbal section. 2012.
talking to yourself, arguing with your..., losing an argumen..., attempting to enu..., hair on the palms..., insisting that yo..., telling jokes to ..., inanity, looking for hair ..., moving your lips ..., smug in knowing s..., disbelieving that... and 6 more...
Lexicon I likez... in no order whatsoever.
mostly from magoosh
Thanks to all you Wordies out there flinging new words at my head. This one's for you.
Words compiled while reading Lolita
Looking for tweets for inanity.