Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being arid; dryness; want of moisture.
- n. Figuratively, want of interest; dryness; lifelessness.
- n. Dullness of mind or situation; depression; tedium.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being arid or without moisture; dryness.
- n. Fig.: Want of interest of feeling; insensibility; dryness of style or feeling; spiritual drought.
- n. a deficiency of moisture (especially when resulting from a permanent absence of rainfall)
- n. the quality of yielding nothing of value
- French aridité, from Latin ariditas "dryness" (Wiktionary)
“The region is considered to be an island of long-term aridity in a sea of climatic change.”
“We are already observing what appear to be trends towards increasing, long-term aridity in parts of the world.”
“Sometimes sloth takes on an acute form known as aridity or barrenness in all things that pertain to God.”
“The aridity is a resource, however, in the matter of wool, the superior quality of which is due largely to the deficient rainfall.”
“Expenditures for purchasing fodder and the water supply for the animals receive more attention with increasing land-use intensity and dissemination of animal traction as well as aridity, meaning an increased load on family labour, especially the children.”
“Good is set against evil; life against death; aridity, fecundity; forests, deserts; past, future.”
“Commenting on your list of several lethalities, some might hear me say, in the face of all aridity ...”
“Though it gave him a profound subject, one has to wonder how much the aridity of Mphahlele's native soil limited his ability to fulfill his artistic promise.”
“My idea of a desert is an eternal agony, plotted by the fury of the aridity, by the implacable confusion of a sun which, trampled by the wind, melts with the sand, until there is no other landscape than the sand dominating the sky, the ground, the wind.”
“On the slope the blossoms of the wine-wooded manzanita filled the air with springtime odors, while the leaves, wise with experience, were already beginning their vertical twist against the coming aridity of summer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aridity’.
You know that feeling when you open your wallet and all you can find inside are ATM receipts?
When being a squatter is the least of your worries and that thing called dignity is shove...
Looking for tweets for aridity.