from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long term lack of rainfall or moisture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being arid or without moisture; dryness.
- n. Fig.: Want of interest of feeling; insensibility; dryness of style or feeling; spiritual drought.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being arid; dryness; want of moisture.
- n. Figuratively, want of interest; dryness; lifelessness.
- n. Dullness of mind or situation; depression; tedium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a deficiency of moisture (especially when resulting from a permanent absence of rainfall)
- n. the quality of yielding nothing of value
French aridité, from Latin ariditas "dryness" (Wiktionary)