Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being flat. Planeness of surface; absence of curvature; also, loosely, smoothness.
- n. Graveness of sound, as opposed to sharpness, acuteness, or shrillness.
- n. Absoluteness; completeness.
- n. In music, the quality or state of being below a true or given pitch.
- n. The state of being flat
- n. The state of being two-dimensional; planar : planarity
- n. The state of being bland : dullness
- n. Mattness, the quality of a painted surface which scatters or absorbs the light falling on it, so as to be substantially free from gloss or sheen
- n. oenology Lack of bouquet and freshness of a wine, through too much aeration or infection with film yeasts
- n. statistics Sometimes used as a synonym for slim-tailedness or platykurticity
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being flat.
- n. Eveness of surface; want of relief or prominence; the state of being plane or level.
- n. Want of vivacity or spirit; prostration; dejection; depression.
- n. Want of variety or flavor; dullness; insipidity.
- n. Depression of tone; the state of being below the true pitch; -- opposed to
- n. inactivity; showing an unusual lack of energy
- n. the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss
- n. a want of animation or brilliance
- n. a deficiency in flavor
- n. the property of having two dimensions
- flat + -ness (Wiktionary)
“My reservations about Mr. Galassi's translations have to do with a certain flatness of tone.”
“Whatever you were doing pursuant to flatness is a particular: it is its own witness.”
“Sure, places like Facebook and MySpace and LinkedIn have their utility, but their flatness is a problem.”
“Sure, places like Facebook and MySpace and LinkedIn have their utility, but their flatness is a problem."”
“Her figure was erect and flat as a lath, and this flatness was accentuated by the extreme scantiness of her drab calico dress.”
“This gives a flatness, which is further increased by the habit of not breaking up even the conversation into fresh paragraphs and lines, but running the whole on in solid page-blocks for several pages together.”
“The flatness was the result of an unprecedented fall of 1. 8% in the core retailing industries being balanced by a 5. 6% rise in the vehicle-related industries, the statistical agency said.”
“However instead of circular not-flatness, which is common with cheaper designs, I got poor flatness left to right, which is a sign of low quality manufacture. foot switch”
“But the 'flatness' resulting from technology has huge implications for Africa.”
“The first is what I can only call a kind of flatness of affect.”
Looking for tweets for flatness.