from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being flat
- n. The state of being two-dimensional; planar : planarity
- n. The state of being bland : dullness
- n. Mattness, the quality of a painted surface which scatters or absorbs the light falling on it, so as to be substantially free from gloss or sheen
- n. Lack of bouquet and freshness of a wine, through too much aeration or infection with film yeasts
- n. Sometimes used as a synonym for slim-tailedness or platykurticity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being flat.
- n. Eveness of surface; want of relief or prominence; the state of being plane or level.
- n. Want of vivacity or spirit; prostration; dejection; depression.
- n. Want of variety or flavor; dullness; insipidity.
- n. Depression of tone; the state of being below the true pitch; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being flat.
- n. Graveness of sound, as opposed to sharpness, acuteness, or shrillness.
- n. Absoluteness; completeness.
- n. In music, the quality or state of being below a true or given pitch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inactivity; showing an unusual lack of energy
- n. the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss
- n. a want of animation or brilliance
- n. a deficiency in flavor
- n. the property of having two dimensions
flat + -ness (Wiktionary)