from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being the same.
- n. A lack of variety or change; monotony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being the same; identity
- n. the state of being equivalent; equality
- n. a tiring lack of variety; monotony
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being the same; identity; absence of difference; near resemblance; correspondence; similarity.
- n. Hence, want of variety; tedious monotony.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The being the same; oneness; the negation of otherness; identity: as, the sameness of an unchangeable being.
- n. Essential resemblance; oneness of nature: as, a sameness of manner.
- n. Want of variety; tedious monotony: as, the sameness of objects in a landscape.
- n. Synonyms and Sameness, Identity. Sameness may be internal or external; identity is internal or essential: as, sameness of personal appearance; the identity of Saladin with Ilderim and Adonbec. One book may be the same as another, but cannot be identical with it. Saladin and Ilderim and Adonbec were the same man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of wearisome constancy, routine, and lack of variety
- n. the quality of being alike
same + -ness (Wiktionary)