from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of having a distinct identity; individuality.
- n. The fully developed self; an achieved personality.
- n. Self-centeredness: "the cult of selfhood that became fashionable in the 1960s” ( David Rankin).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. State of having a distinct identity, or being an individual distinct from others; individuality.
- n. The fully developed self; one's personality, character.
- n. The quality of being self-centered or egocentric; selfishness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Existence as a separate self, or independent person; conscious personality; individuality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mode of being of an individual person; independent existence; personality.
Translation of German Meinheit : mein, my, mine + -heit, n. suff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From self + -hood. (Wiktionary)