from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being similar; resemblance. See Synonyms at likeness.
- n. A corresponding aspect or feature; equivalence: a similarity of writing styles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Closeness of appearance to something else.
- n. The relation of sharing properties.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being similar; likeness; resemblance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality or condition of being similar; likeness; perfect, partial, or general resemblance.
- n. A point or respect in which things are similar.
- n. Synonyms Analogy, correspondence, parity, parallelism.
- n. If the ratio of the densities is varied, the ratio of the living forces of the corresponding units of volume must remain unchanged.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Gestalt principle of organization holding that (other things being equal) parts of a stimulus field that are similar to each other tend to be perceived as belonging together as a unit
- n. the quality of being similar
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At first, I thought the cover similarity was worse, but I am leaning toward the title similarity because of the argument Kathleen makes.
Another similarity is the explosive PETN, which was found in the devices shipped from Yemen and in residue from the 1998 terrorist bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
And, uh, no, the name similarity is not on purpose.
Affleck and Phoenix seem at times to be inspired more by the fictional work of their past collaborator Gus Van Sant (at the end, especially) and maybe somewhat Todd Haynes (if the title similarity to
The similarity is no accident — All-Glass Firefox is based on the same Glasser extension that we used in the previous customisation, but takes it a step further, even adding fancy text effects if you are running the latest beta of Firefox.
Perhaps one of the contributing factors to a sense of similarity is that the majority of modern coursebooks follow a very similar grammar syllabus which forms, if not the backbone, then a very important strand of the course.
So Owen's and Doheny are both spinning the numbers -- Owens in choosing not to mention that he votes with Pelosi 83 percent of the time and Doheny in claiming that the 93 percent voting similarity is with Pelosi as opposed to the Democratic party.
The other similarity is that almost all the young learners featured in these films whose "waiting" for the lottery is climaxed by finding out the "winners" and "losers," with mostly disappointing results, are not typical of many of the students in this country who are getting a second-rate education.
In reality, of course, the similarity is that severe atrocities and tragedies are often justified and accepted because the victims are denied personhood – and that this is never okay.
Yes | No | Report from jamesti wrote 1 week 4 days ago the similarity is uncanny! it's in the grin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.