from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. inactivity
- n. being stagnant; being without circulation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being stagnant; cessation of flowing or circulation, as of a fluid; the state of being motionless.
- n. The cessation of action, or of brisk action; the state of being dull.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being stagnant; the cessation of flow or circulation in a fluid; the state of being without flow, or of being motionless.
- n. Lack or absence of briskness or activity; inertness; dullness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inactivity of liquids; being stagnant; standing still; without current or circulation
- n. a state of inactivity (in business or art etc)
From Latin stagnatus, past participle of stagno ("to stagnate"), from stagnum ("standing water") (Wiktionary)