from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.
- n. Freedom of the people of a given area to determine their own political status; independence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ability or right to make one's own decisions without interference from others
- n. The political independence of a people
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Determination by one's self; or, determination of one's acts or states without the necessitating force of motives; -- applied to the voluntary or activity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Determination by one's self or itself; determination by one's own will or powers, without extraneous impulse or influence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion
- n. government of a political unit by its own people
self- + determination (Wiktionary)