from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Absolute rule or power; autocracy.
- n. A country under such rule.
- n. Variant of autarky.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condition of absolute power.
- n. An autocratic government; an autocracy.
- n. Self-government; a condition of economic self-sufficiency or national independence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Self-sufficiency, especially economic self-sufficiency as applied to nations.
- n. same as autarky.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Absolute power; autocracy; self-government.
- n. Self-sufficiency; independence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. economic independence as a national policy
- n. a political system governed by a single individual
From Greek autarkhos, self-governing, autarch : auto-, auto- + arkhos, ruler (from arkhein, to rule).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek αὐταρχία (autarcheia, "absolute governing") (Wiktionary)