from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Government by the armed forces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A military government.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A military government; government by military chiefs and an army.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A military government; government by force of arms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. government by the military and an army
Greek stratos, army; see ster-2 in Indo-European roots + -cracy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)