from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of federating, especially a joining together of states into a league or federal union.
- n. A league or association formed by federating, especially a government or political body established through federal union.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Act of joining together into a single political entity.
- n. Array of nations or states that are unified under one central authority which is elected by its members.
- n. Any society or organisation formed from separate groups or bodies.
- adj. Of an architectural style popular around the time of federation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of uniting in a league; confederation.
- n. A league; a confederacy; a federal or confederated government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of uniting in confederation by league and covenant.
- n. A league; a confederacy; a federal alliance.
- n. A federal government, as that of the United States, Switzerland, or Germany.
- n. Synonyms See confederation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a union of political organizations
- n. an organization formed by merging several groups or parties
- n. the act of constituting a political unity out of a number of separate states or colonies or provinces so that each member retains the management of its internal affairs
From French fédération, from Late Latin foederatio, from Latin foederare. (Wiktionary)