from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of furnishing critical commentary or explanatory notes.
- n. A critical or explanatory note; a commentary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a critical or explanatory commentary or analysis
- n. a comment added to a text
- n. the process of writing such comment or commentary
- n. metadata added to a document or program
- n. information relating to the genetic structure of sequences of bases
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A note, added by way of comment, or explanation; -- usually in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of annotating or of making notes.
- n. A remark, note, or comment on some passage of a book or other writing: as, annotations on the Scriptures.
- n. The first symptoms of the approach of a febrile paroxysm in intermittent fever.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a comment or instruction (usually added)
- n. the act of adding notes
From Latin annotātiōnem, accusative singular of annotātiō ("remark, annotation"), from annotātus, perfect passive participle of annotō ("note down, remark"). (Wiktionary)