from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A series of explanations or interpretations.
- n. An expository treatise or series of annotations; an exegesis. Often used in the plural.
- n. An apt explanation or illustration: a scandal that is a sad commentary on national politics.
- n. A personal narrative; a memoir. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A series of comments or annotations; especially, a book of explanations or expositions on the whole or a part of some other work.
- n. A brief account of transactions or events written hastily, as if for a memorandum; -- usually in the plural; as, Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War.
- n. An oral description of an event, especially broadcast by television or radio, as it occurs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A series of comments or annotations; esp., a book of explanations or expositions on the whole or a part of the Scriptures or of some other work.
- n. A brief account of transactions or events written hastily, as if for a memorandum; -- usually in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A series or collection of comments or annotations; especially, an explanation or elucidation of difficult and obscure passages in a book or other writing, and consideration of questions suggested by them, arranged in the same order as in the text or writing examined; an explanatory essay or treatise: as, a commentary on the Bible. A textual commentary explains the author's meaning, sentence by sentence.
- n. Anything that serves to explain or illustrate; an exemplification.
- n. A historical narrative; an explanatory record of particular transactions: as, the Commentaries of Cæsar.
- n. Synonyms See remark, n.
- To write notes or comments.
- To comment upon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a written explanation or criticism or illustration that is added to a book or other textual material
Latin commentarius, commentarium ("note book"), confer French commentaire. See comment. (Wiktionary)