from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short poem or speech spoken directly to the audience following the conclusion of a play.
- n. The performer who delivers such a short poem or speech.
- n. A short addition or concluding section at the end of a literary work, often dealing with the future of its characters. Also called afterword.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short speech, spoken directly at the audience at the end of a play
- n. The performer who gives this speech
- n. A brief oration or script at the end of a literary piece; an afterword
- n. A component of a computer program that prepares the computer to return from a routine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A speech or short poem addressed to the spectators and recited by one of the actors, after the conclusion of the play.
- n. The closing part of a discourse, in which the principal matters are recapitulated; a conclusion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To epilogize.
- n. In rhetoric, the conclusion or closing part of a discourse or oration; the peroration.
- n. In dramatic or narrative writing, a concluding address; a winding up of the subject; specifically, in spoken dramas, a closing piece or speech, usually in verse, addressed by one or more of the performers to the audience.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short speech (often in verse) addressed directly to the audience by an actor at the end of a play
- n. a short passage added at the end of a literary work
Brief and direct, the epilogue is the strongest part of the book, because it reflects a principle too little in evidence elsewhere: Real tragedies are often so painful to read about that they are best served by understatement.
Is that, like, an epilogue of the whole Twilight series or is it the epilogue from the original Forever Dawn or is it, Idk, a summary of Forever Dawn?
The epilogue is meant, along with the preface, to bookend Sarah Crowe's narrative, conveyed by the manuscript published after her death.
Yes, the epilogue is mostly about Susan the serpent-girl - but the shawl reminds me of the mermaid's new ability to shift from dryad to mermaid.
Because we are invested in the characters, the long epilogue is fairly convincing.
In conception, the film's two-hour epilogue is ingenious, a descent into absolute hysteria and madness wherein Biberkopf wanders through a politically and spiritually charged psychosexual dreamscape, complete with anachronistic musical cues from the likes of Janis Joplin, Lou Reed and Kraftwerk.
The epilogue is an analysis of McCarthy's redbaiting which draws two main conclusions.
The ending, denoument, and epilogue is a little odd, but the environment is very interesting.
This isn't exactly a spoiler since I'm not giving away any plot details: the epilogue is short and does not tell you the fate of all the different towns and people you come across like the first two games do.
Hart claimed the prologue, but the epilogue is my moment.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.