from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Full payment of a salary or wages.
- n. The time of such payment.
- n. Informal A final settlement or reckoning.
- n. Informal The climax of a narrative or sequence of events.
- n. Final retribution or revenge.
- n. Informal A bribe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of pay-off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. profit or gain from an action; -- used broadly.
- n. retribution, payback.
- n. The act of giving or receiving money or other valuable consideration as a bribe.
- n. The money or item given as a bribe.
- n. same as compensation 2.
- n. The climax or final result of an event or endeavor; the denoument of a narrative.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the final payment of a debt
- n. payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment
- n. a recompense for worthy acts or retribution for wrongdoing
- n. the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property
- v. pay someone with influence in order to receive a favor
- v. pay off (loans or promissory notes)
- v. take vengeance on or get even
- v. yield a profit or result
- v. do or give something to somebody in return
- v. eliminate by paying off (debts)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It was necessary to continue the program and now it appears, the payoff is at hand.
Sure there's a little risk involved, but the payoff is being able to produce a unique bottle of wine -- not to mention becoming pioneers for those varietals on the Niagara Wine Trail.
Take risks to see more and know more — the payoff is your own freedom.
The former will prompt you to provide quite a bit of detail about your hardware; the payoff is an "xorg. conf" that's extremely well-commented (i.e. the purpose of each section is explained).
The developers don't care: their payoff is the upcoming hight/density zoning restrictions that will be lifted in SLU and Northgate.
After several lines of this, the payoff is the following pearl of wisdom:
That's how it works at Kansas, and the payoff is a return trip to the Final Four.
We had set about enacting a responsible long-term policy—deregulation, conservation, alternative energy—but it had little short-term payoff.
No, the payoff from a policy confrontation with Obama won't be immediate.
Perhaps the payoff is that you, the ruling class, get to give everybody the exact same shabby coverage.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.