from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of suspending or dismissing an employee, as for lack of work or because of corporate reorganization.
- n. A period of temporary inactivity or rest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dismissal of employees from their jobs because of tightened budgetary constraints or work shortage (not due to poor performance or misconduct).
- n. A period of time when someone is unavailable for work.
- n. A short pass that has been rolled in front of another player for them to kick.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of laying off an employee or a work force
Sorry, no etymologies found.