from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being temporarily set aside; suspension: held the plan in abeyance.
- n. Law A condition of undetermined ownership, as of an estate that has not yet been assigned.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Expectancy of a title, its right in existence but its exercise suspended.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Expectancy; condition of being undetermined.
- n. Suspension; temporary suppression.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, a state of expectation or contemplation.
- n. A state of suspended action or existence, or temporary inactivity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. temporary cessation or suspension
Anglo-Norman, variant of Old French abeance, desire, from abaer, to gape at : a-, at (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + baer, to gape; see bay2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)