from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A temporary cessation of fighting by mutual consent; a truce.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A formal agreement to end fighting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cessation of arms for a short time, by convention; a temporary suspension of hostilities by agreement; a truce.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A temporary suspension of hostilities by convention or agreement of the parties; a truce.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of peace agreed to between opponents so they can discuss peace terms
French, from New Latin armistitium : Latin arma, arms; see arm2 + Latin -stitium, a stopping; see stā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French armistice. (Wiktionary)