American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A period of stagnation or slump.
- n. A period of depression or unhappy listlessness.
- n. A region of the ocean near the equator, characterized by calms, light winds, or squalls.
- n. The weather conditions characteristic of these regions of the ocean.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Low spirits; the dumps: as, he is in the doldrums.
- Nautical, certain parts of the ocean near the equator that a bound in calms, squalls, and light baffling winds; also, the calms or variations of weather characteristic of those parts. The region of the doldrums varies in breadth from sixty to several hundred miles, and shifts its extreme limits at different seasons between latitude 5° S. and 15° N. It is overhung at a great height by a permanent belt of cloud, gathered by opposing currents of the trade-winds.
- n. A part of the ocean near the equator, abounding in calms, squalls, and light, baffling winds, which sometimes prevent all progress for weeks – so called by sailors
- n. the state of boredom, malaise, apathy or lack of interest; a state of listlessness ennui, or tedium
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A part of the ocean near the equator, abounding in calms, squalls, and light, baffling winds, which sometimes prevent all progress for weeks; -- so called by sailors.
- n. a belt of calms and light winds between the northern and southern trade winds of the Atlantic and Pacific
- n. a state of inactivity (in business or art etc)
- Goidelic doltrum ("grief, vexation") (Wiktionary)
- From obsolete doldrum, dullard, alteration (influenced by tantrum) of Middle English dold, past participle of dullen, to dull, from dul, dull; see dull. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Conservatives have built up the myth of Reagan as being well-loved throughout his presidency, but he hit the same midterm doldrums Obama now finds himself in, and for almost exactly the same reason -- the economy was in the same doldrums, and it wasn't recovering fast enough to do the president any good politically.”
“They could have added that the Academy, in doldrums at the time, was ill-equipped for the sensitive task.”
“We're looking for that magic they call the doldrums," she says.”
“ Yet questions over Rove’s role in the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame have proven troublesome for a White House already struggling under the weight of second term doldrums and worries about the war in Iraq.”
“The second-term doldrums have really set in," said a White House aide.”
“The French called the doldrums the pot au noir, the “pitch pot,” a black hole that sucked up mariners and never let go.”
“Another symptom alarming to those who were familiar with the different stages of his doldrums was his increasing politeness and a tendency to use formal phrases.”
“He caught -- his nurse could not tell how -- a complaint common to the people of Nomansland, called the doldrums, as unpleasant as measles or any other of our complaints; and it made him restless, cross, and disagreeable.”
“The globe-girdling belt called the doldrums is 20 degrees wide, and the thread called the equator lies along the middle of it.”
“Nomansland, called the doldrums, which made him restless, cross and disagreeable.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘doldrums’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Down in the dumps, feeling blue? Here, then, is a list for you...
It's a book by Jack Kerouac
local wind names
Nouns that are common in plural form but are non-existent or rarely used in singular form.
My big word list.
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
You'll definitely need a map. Inspired by Son of Groucho's comment on Islets of Langerhans.
slough of despond, pit of despair, den of iniquity, islets of langerhans, hippocampus, boulevard of brok..., canals of hering, hesselbach's tria..., crypts of lieberkühn, angle of louis, circle of willis, traube's space and 102 more...
Looking for tweets for doldrums.