from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An extensive system of winds spiraling outward from a high-pressure center, circling clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a system of winds that spiral out from a centre of high pressure
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A movement of the atmosphere opposite in character, as regards direction of the wind and distribution of barometric pressure, to that of a cyclone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A meteorological phenomenon presenting some features which are the opposites of those of a cyclone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (meteorology) winds spiraling outward from a high pressure center; circling clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern
Sorry, no etymologies found.