from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Judgment, as by a jury or judge, that a defendant is not guilty of a crime as charged.
- n. The state of being found or proved not guilty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of acquitting; discharge from debt or obligation; acquittance.
- n. A setting free, or deliverance from the charge of an offense, by verdict of a jury or sentence of a court.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of acquitting, or the state of being acquitted.
- n. Performance, as of a duty; discharge of an obligation or a debt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a judgment of not guilty
From acquit + -al. (Wiktionary)