from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formal charging of a defendant with an offense.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of arraigning, or the state of being arraigned; the act of calling and setting a prisoner before a court to answer to an indictment or complaint.
- n. A calling to an account to faults; accusation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, the act of arraigning; the act of calling and setting a prisoner before a court to answer to an accusation.
- n. Accusation before any tribunal, as that of reason, taste, etc.; a calling in question for faults; accusation.
- n. Synonyms Prosecution, impeachment, indictment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a legal document calling someone to court to answer an indictment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
DeLay's arraignment is set for Friday before state district Judge Bob Perkins in Travis County, Texas.
Such objections as that the accused, at the time of the arraignment, is undergoing a sentence of a general court-martial, or that owing to the long delay in bringing him to trial he is unable to disprove the charge or to defend himself, or that his accuser was actuated by malice or is a person of bad character, or that he was released from restraint upon the charges are not proper subjects for motion prior to plea, however much they may constitute ground for a continuance or affect the questions of the truth or falsity of the charge or of the measure of punishment.
Stapley is currently in jail waiting for arraignment, which is expected to take place this afternoon.
LALAMA: All right, something really important is the arraignment, which is coming up on Thursday.
However, I am told that additional charges could be filed before his arraignment, which is scheduled on August 18.
I know you mentioned the arraignment is the next step, but Kendall Coffey, the former U.S. attorney had suggested that by the end of the year this will still be going on.
He also lives in Florida, he's in Las Vegas, so that will make bail somewhat more difficult for him to get, but -- the arraignment will be the first time the issue of bail is dealt with and I don't know if Las Vegas has Sunday arraignments or not.
The mother is being held without bail until her arraignment, which is scheduled for tomorrow.
So, I think they're trying to get this passed the NBA season, but in terms of the family being at the arraignment, that is not unusual.
BOB FRANKEN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well, the arraignment is a very simple affair.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.