American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An action or a suit brought before a court, as to recover a right or redress a grievance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A suit at law or in equity; an action or a proceeding in a civil court; a process in law instituted by one party to compel another to do him justice.
- n. law In civil law, a case where two or more people disagree and one or more of the parties take the case to a court for resolution.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An action at law; a suit in equity or admiralty; any legal proceeding before a court for the enforcement of a claim.
- n. a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
- law + suit (Wiktionary)
“Also ahead, the World Trade Center cough and why some are now uttering the term lawsuit in a very clear voice.”
“This for the reason that the lawsuit is a facial challenge, not a challenge to the law as applied.”
“Asked if the campaign had any qualms about using the legal action in a political ad, McMaster spokesman Rob Godfrey said the lawsuit is a key example of the candidate's courage and leadership abilities.”
“Having worked in the DOD, I would assume that any assertion of state secrets in the context of a lawsuit is a CYA move unless proven otherwise.”
“This column argues that the proposed settlement of this lawsuit is a privately negotiated compulsory license primarily designed to monetize millions of orphan works.”
“Spokesman Matthew Miller said the lawsuit is asking a federal court to intervene in ongoing military action and to direct the president on how to manage that action, all on behalf of a leader of a foreign terrorist group.”
“It looks like every one of those Attorneys General filing this lawsuit is a Republican.”
“The company would be financially prepared for a possible legal dispute if the lawsuit is admitted by the U.S. court in January, he said.”
“This lawsuit is a waste of time and tx payers dollars.”
“This lawsuit is akin to a negligent shooter suing the friend of the victim for the cost of the bullet and its tragic, avoidable consequences.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lawsuit’.
Legal glossary with special focus on courtroom vocabulary
Very basic words for ESL students.
Stuff you lose.
Looking for tweets for lawsuit.