from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An expression of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
- n. A cause or reason for complaining; a grievance.
- n. A bodily disorder or disease; a malady or ailment.
- n. The symptom or distress about which a patient seeks medical assistance.
- n. Law The presentation by the plaintiff in a civil action, setting forth the claim on which relief is sought.
- n. Law A formal charge, made under oath, of the commission of a crime or other such offense.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grievance, problem, difficulty, or concern; the act of complaining.
- n. In a civil action, the first pleading of the plaintiff setting out the facts on which the claim is based; The purpose is to give notice to the adversary of the nature and basis of the claim asserted.
- n. In criminal law, the preliminary charge or accusation made by one person against another to the appropriate court or officer, usually a magistrate. However, court proceedings, such as a trial, cannot be instituted until an indictment or information has been handed down against the defendant.
- n. A consumer complaint.
- n. A bodily disorder or disease; the symptom of such a disorder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Expression of grief, regret, pain, censure, or resentment; lamentation; murmuring; accusation; fault-finding.
- n. Cause or subject of complaint or murmuring.
- n. An ailment or disease of the body.
- n. A formal allegation or charge against a party made or presented to the appropriate court or officer, as for a wrong done or a crime committed (in the latter case, generally under oath); an information; accusation; the initial bill in proceedings in equity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An expression of grief, regret, pain, censure, resentment, or discontent; lamentation; faultfinding; murmuring.
- n. That which is complained of; a cause of grief, discontent, lamentation, etc.
- n. A cause of bodily pain or uneasiness; a malady; a disease; an ailment: usually applied to disorders not violent.
- n. A formal accusation; a charge that an offense has been committed; especially, such a charge presented to an officer or a court for the purpose of instituting prosecution.
- n. In many of the United States, the pleading in which the plaintiff in a civil action formally sets forth the facts of his case, with his claim for relief thereon: corresponding to the declaration at common law, the bill in equity, and the libel in admiralty.
- n. A poem bewailing ill fortune in matters of love; a plaint.
- n. Synonyms Lament.
- n. Ailment, disorder, distemper, illness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an often persistent bodily disorder or disease; a cause for complaining
- n. (criminal law) a pleading describing some wrong or offense
- n. (civil law) the first pleading of the plaintiff setting out the facts on which the claim for relief is based
- n. (formerly) a loud cry (or repeated cries) of pain or rage or sorrow
- n. an expression of grievance or resentment
As I said, though, my main complaint is he is threadjacking, so I will threadjack no more.
Considering that the “belligerence” and the “civil liberties violations” are pretty much the same 15 months into this administration, I gather that your main complaint is that people are calling Obama a fascist for the wrong reasons.
I think the main complaint is when the division of labor is arrived at by default and not by discussion.
Yes, my main complaint is that the only issue about bundling was completely ignored by Kling's article, and I can't really see how it could have been an unintentional oversight considering the context that Microsoft has been in the news lately.
Her main complaint is that Meyer broke the rules of her own storyverse by making Bella pregnant, then made it worse with a graphic birth scene, and then piled yet more weirdness on top of it by having Jacob mentally bond to the infant daughter as his soul mate.
When it comes to that cut, Mr. Rigell's main complaint is that his opponent, Democrat Rep. Glenn Nye, hasn't done enough to stop it.
So first off, my main complaint is that there is a robot detecting my mood and telling me how to drive.
My main complaint is the “re-sellers” … I tried to get a few used electronic items only to get outbid by some guy who puts the same item up for auction the next week at a higher “minimum bid” or “buy now price”.
Jay's main complaint is that science fiction writers lack imagination .... science-fiction writers appear to be even less able to imagine the future than the average cat.
If a complaint has to be published (and far more are received than are published; most are not valid or are trivial/self-serving), it should be edited so that the main complaint is clearly made so that readers can discern the argument.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.