American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A jealous attitude or disposition.
- n. Close vigilance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being jealous; zealous watchfulness; earnest solicitude for that which concerns one's self or others; suspicious care; suspicion.
- n. Specifically—2. Distress or resentment caused by suspected or actual loss, through the rivalry of another, of the love, good will, or success one desires to retain or secure; fear or suspicion of successful rivalry, especially in love.
- n. The plant Sedum rupestre.
- n. Synonyms See envy.
- n. uncountable A state of suspicious guarding towards a spouse, lover etc., from fears of infidelity.
- n. countable A resentment towards someone for a perceived advantage or superiority they hold.
- n. Envy towards another's possessions
- n. archaic A close concern for someone or something, solicitude, vigilance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality of being jealous; earnest concern or solicitude; painful apprehension of rivalship in cases directly affecting one's happiness; painful suspicion of the faithfulness of husband, wife, or lover.
- n. a feeling of jealous envy (especially of a rival)
- n. zealous vigilance
- Old French jalousie, see jealous, -y. (Wiktionary)
“These terms rid Natura of a great part of that insupportable constraint he had been under, but gave not the least satisfaction, as to his jealousy of honour; he doubted not but she would be guilty of many things, injurious in the highest degree to their public character, and which yet it would not so well become him to exert his authority in opposing, and these reflections gave him the most terrible inquietude; which shews, that though _jealousy_ is called the child of _love_, it is very possible to feel all the tortures of the”
“But, my jealousy is a motivation as I create events and experiences and decide who I want to hang out with in life.”
“The feelings, which she described as jealousy, grew deeper when Kathlyn Ogdoc became pregnant during her sophomore year in college.”
“Seems as if we actually ARE getting closer to the end of the 2 year country wide reign of the - I didn't loose the election for John McCain, the people loved me - Palin jealousy snit.”
“Ministers of the Gospel are excluded [from serving as Visitors of the county Elementary Schools] to avoid jealousy from the other sects, were the public education committed to the ministers of a particular one; and with more reason than in the case of their exclusion from the legislative and executive functions.”
“Well the best of luck with that and my jealousy is now back with a vengeance!”
“I guess jealousy is a natural enough reaction, even for you wing-bats.”
“Her jealousy is enough to make Henry symbolically remove the last of his things.”
“Hopefully you understand that the jealousy is mutual, right?”
“Your jealousy is so apparent and I hope you never decide to run for president because you will never achieve it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘jealousy’.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
The sound of my name spoken by your lips... I need a word for that.
Three syllable words that contain a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables.
/ - -
You ever try to read someone who can't be read? What is he thinking? What is he going to do? Whose side is he really on?
bad traits that are common in human behaviour.
goto traits (neutral)
goto traits (good)
( randomness, descriptive, psychology, mindset, perspective, outlook, noun )
WORDS ABOUT LOVE; ITS UPS AND DOWNS!
These are all human things. Things us humans do. Not animals - those species we feel superior to.
Looking for tweets for jealousy.