from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition.
- n. A complex of symptoms indicating the existence of an undesirable condition or quality.
- n. A distinctive or characteristic pattern of behavior: the syndrome of conspicuous consumption in wealthy suburbs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A recognizable pattern of signs, symptoms and/or behaviours.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Concurrence.
- n. A group of symptoms occurring together that are characteristic and indicative of some underlying cause, such as a disease.
- n. generally, a pattern of characteristics or behaviors occurring together, that are sufficiently common and distinctive to indicate that they are due to a known cause.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Concurrence.
- n. In medicine, the concourse or combination of symptoms in a disease; a symptom-complex; a symptom-group. Compare prodrome, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pattern of symptoms indicative of some disease
- n. a complex of concurrent things
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 12/13/09: In borrowing from China, we created our own economic ‘China syndrome 'yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' In borrowing from China, we created our own economic ‘China syndrome\ ''; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: These U.S. oil firms must be facing their own ‘Shock and Awe\'.
"Toasted skin syndrome" is what Swiss researchers have dubbed a mottled-skin condition caused by long-term heat exposure.
Those extra chemicals generally didn't count as un-natural until the Chicken Nugget incident of 2015 when over three hundred thousand fast food patrons concocted a rare form of modified protein syndrome from the GM chicken they consumed.
"It appears to be much worse during seasonal allergy seasons," says Plaut, who explains that the syndrome is a result of a cross reactivity between the proteins in the pollens a person is allergic to and the proteins in certain foods that are structurally similar to those in the pollens.
A characteristic morphologic feature of hair in this syndrome is a triangular to reniform to heart shape on cross-sections, and a groove, canal or flattening along the entire length of the hair in at least 50% of hairs examined by scanning electron microscopy.
This would end what he described as the syndrome of separation between the work of the police and that of the justice system, with police cases often collapsing in the country's courts.
I just know that the "syndrome" is what we would usually call people who are "nerds" or "geeks": they have facility with math and abstract concepts but find social interaction difficult and are very bad at reading the body language of others.
Nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (NBCCS), also known as “Gorlin syndrome, is a hereditary cancer syndrome characterized by:
This discovery gave them the idea that the gene that causes Alagille syndrome is probably located on the missing portion of DNA on chromosome 20.
This syndrome is characterized by a combination of Wilms 'tumor, kidney failure, genitourinary malformations and gonad (ovaries or testes) abnormalities.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.