from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of entrusting: committal of the property to an attorney.
- n. The act or an instance of committing to confinement.
- n. The act of pledging oneself to a particular view or position: articulated her strong committal to world peace.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of entrusting something to someone.
- n. The act of committing someone to confinement; an order for someone's imprisonment.
- n. The act of perpetrating an offence.
- n. The act of committing a body to the grave at a burial or to the furnace at a cremation.
- adj. Of or relating to a committee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of committing, or the state of being committed; commitment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of committing, in any of the senses of the verb; commitment; commission: as, the committal of a trust to a person, of a body to the grave, of a criminal to prison; the or a committal (compromising, betrayal, exposure) of one's self.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of committing a crime
- n. the official act of consigning a person to confinement (as in a prison or mental hospital)
commit + -al (noun) or committee + -al (adjective) (Wiktionary)