from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of stopping or the condition of being stopped; a halt: called for a work stoppage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pause or halt of some activity.
- n. Something that forms an obstacle to continued activity, a blockage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of stopping, or arresting progress, motion, or action; also, the state of being stopped
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stopping, in any sense, or the state of being stopped; especially, a stopping of motion or procedure.
- n. A deduction made from pay or allowances to repay advances, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an obstruction in a pipe or tube
- n. the state of inactivity following an interruption
- n. the act of stopping something
Sorry, no etymologies found.