American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A standstill resulting from the opposition of two unrelenting forces or factions.
- n. Sports A tied score.
- n. Computer Science A failure or inability to proceed due to two programs or devices both requiring a response from the other before completing an operation.
- v. To bring or come to a deadlock.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lock worked on one side by a handle and on the other side by a key.
- n. A complete stoppage, stand-still, or entanglement; a state of affairs in which further progress or a decision is for the time impossible, as if from an inextricable locking up: as, a dead-lock in a legislature where parties are evenly balanced.
- n. A lock with a key-bolt, but with no latch-bolt, operated by a knob.
- n. A lock in which the key-bolt must be moved by turning the key in each direction: distinguished from a spring lock.
- To bring to a dead-lock or standstill: as, “they have dead-locked the legislature,”
- n. A standstill resulting from the opposition of two evenly matched forces; a stalemate or impasse
- n. computing An inability to continue due to two programs or devices each requiring a response from the other before completing an operation
- v. to cause or to come to a deadlock
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A lock which is not self-latching, but requires a key to throw the bolt forward.
- n. A counteraction of things, which produces an entire stoppage; a complete obstruction of action.
- n. a situation in which no progress can be made or no advancement is possible
“I agree that the focus in the ed reform conversation needs to be on concrete action that supports what's best for kids, and I understand that endless collaborative discussion that ultimately yields deadlock is a frustrating waste of everyone's time.”
“Clashes between Mr. Yushchenko and his former Orange ally Prime Minister Ms. Tymoshenko left government in deadlock, hampering reform efforts and deepening the pain of the economic crisis.”
“Talks between New Zealand's prime minister and Hollywood executives over the future of the Hobbit films ended in deadlock earlier today.”
“Everything will end up in deadlock, and nothing will be done.”
“Even our own country is in deadlock over people taking extreme positions and stubbornly refusing to yield an inch.”
“The contribution which the Congress and the Hindu community can make at this stage towards the solution of the communal deadlock is that they can say to the Muslims: We realize that you are afraid of Hindu domination at the Center.”
“So long however the attitude of the Hindu community that Muslim fears are baseless and that nothing need be done to set them at rest or at any rate the remedy must be deferred till after the achievement of independence, no solution of the communal deadlock is possible.”
“The decision by Russia and China to use their veto power indicates that the Security Council might be stuck in a longer-term deadlock on issues related to the Middle East and the Arab Spring pro-democracy movements in the region, Western diplomats told Reuters.”
“In such a situation the motor consequences of the first idea are blocked; and I may remain for half an hour or more with the two ideas oscillating before me in a kind of deadlock, which is what we call the state of hesitation or deliberation.”
“France24 ZIMBABWE: Tsvangirai party says power-sharing talks have reached 'deadlock' - 3 hrs ago”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deadlock’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Inspired by fbharjo (see spitchcock).
All about locks. And security devices.
Words as I learn them.
get these dude
Looking for tweets for deadlock.