from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of foreclosing, especially a legal proceeding by which a mortgage is foreclosed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the proceeding, by a creditor, to regain property or other collateral following a default on mortgage payments
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of foreclosing; a proceeding which bars or extinguishes a mortgager's right of redeeming a mortgaged estate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of foreclosing; the act of depriving a mortgager of the right of redeeming his mortgaged estate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the legal proceedings initiated by a creditor to repossess the collateral for loan that is in default
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The average loan in foreclosure is 484 days delinquent, according to LPS Applied Analytics.
So while the short answer of whether you can vote if you're in foreclosure is yes, each state sets its own rules on when and whether you need to re-register your address.
The term foreclosure vulture clearly has negative connotations and generates a sense of foreboding, but not all who buy foreclosed properties have nefarious intent.
While laymen use the term foreclosure to mean a bank sale, the term refers to a credit-bid sale.
But the term foreclosure covers a very wide area with many sub-groups within it.
Taylor and other consumer advocates have said the problem spans from the loan origination that inflated the housing bubble to the failure to modify mortgages after it burst, not simply when a foreclosure is already inevitable.
News of the foreclosure is the latest twist in the tale of Suleman and her children.
The only possible winner in a foreclosure is a cash-rich bargain hunter up homes at ultra-low prices and waiting to sell them when times improve.
The buyer of a foreclosure is a cash buyer, no leverage.
So a foreclosure is a pretty shitty deal all around.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.