from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The formation, presence, or development of a thrombus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formation of thrombi in the blood vessels of a living organism, causing obstruction of the circulation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The obstruction of a blood vessel by a clot formed at the site of obstruction; -- distinguished from
embolism, which is produced by a clot or foreign body brought from a distance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The coagulation of the blood in a blood-vessel or in the heart during life; the formation or existence of a thrombus. See thrombus .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the formation or presence of a thrombus (a clot of coagulated blood attached at the site of its formation) in a blood vessel
This week, the organization announced that it’s on the verge of creating a lab-on-a-chip that can diagnose deep vein thrombosis from a single drop of blood, as well as a wristband that can measure body temperature, skin moisture and electromagnetic radiation using plastic chips and sensors only micrometers thick.
No doubt someone mentioned the notion of everyone responsible for such an assinine idea being sued into oblivion by passengers who end up with deep vein thrombosis or sicking up all over themselves or wetting the seat or ... whatever.
Deep vein thrombosis, or DVT, is the formation of a blood clot in a deep vein.
Deep vein thrombosis occurred in 34 patients taking Crestor and 60 people who were taking placebos, indicating that treatment reduced the risk of clots by 43%.
ORLANDO Researchers have shown for the first time that a potent cholesterol-lowering drug, Crestor, reduces the risk of deep vein thrombosis, or "economy-class syndrome," caused by potentially lethal blood clots that start in the veins and migrate to the lungs, sometimes after long flights.
Other studies have hinted that statins also reduce clot formation, but their power to prevent deep vein thrombosis was unknown.
You better be walking from now on so that you can combat that deep vein thrombosis you have developed!
I can't believe the sort of day I've had today, if I throw a deep vein thrombosis the fault will be entirely mine.
Only the thought of a deep vein thrombosis has encouraged me to come and tell you this much.
I was wondering about whether to crack a joke with the lady or man at the border box about the deep vein thrombosis I contracted whilst waiting in the queue.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.