American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Arterial disease in which chronic high blood pressure is the primary symptom.
- n. Abnormally elevated blood pressure.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Extreme tension.
- n. pathology The disease or disorder of abnormally high blood pressure.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. abnormally high blood pressure; especially, the chronic condition associated with persistent high blood pressure.
- n. a common disorder in which blood pressure remains abnormally high (a reading of 140/90 mm Hg or greater)
- hyper- + tension (Wiktionary)
“Now he was running on dumb luck, a liver that he tried to revitalize with handfuls of vitamin B, and what he called the hypertension buzz, which produced a sound in his head like a fallen power line lying in a pool of water.”
“Just to give one example, treatment of hypertension is greatly different between whites and African-Americans.”
“If you look ... for things that we can prevent that lead to cognitive decline in the elderly, hypertension is at the top of the list," Dr. Walter Koroshetz, deputy director of NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, told The Associated Press.”
“Why, given these obesity numbers, does this increase in hypertension not surprise me in the least?”
“The definition of hypertension has been refined and new limits for what is now considered prehypertension have been established.”
“Vitamin D treatment for hypertension is definitely showing some promise! nana”
“And dark chocolate only — it wards off hypertension, is full of antioxidants.”
“In fact, one could argue that the migraine sufferer sees a much more tangible benefit for his drug risk than the hypertension patient, since hypertension is asymptomatic.”
“In the late 1940's during a Grand Rounds at the Brigham, I was astounded to hear Dr. Thorn say, "The best way to treat hypertension is to remove both kidneys!”
“The original hypertension is thus counteracted, at least to a certain extent.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hypertension’.
Words that sound like you're saying hi to a person.
Looking for tweets for hypertension.