from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Difference of opinion; disagreement. See Synonyms at discord.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of expressing dissent, especially spoken.
- n. Strong disagreement; a contention or quarrel; discord.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Disagreement in opinion, usually of a violent character, producing warm debates or angry words; contention in words; partisan and contentious divisions; breach of friendship and union; strife; discord; quarrel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Disagreement in opinion; especially, violent disagreement which produces warm debate or angry words; contention in words; strife; discord; quarrel; breach of friendship or union.
- n. Synonyms -Difference, dispute, variance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a conflict of people's opinions or actions or characters
- n. disagreement among those expected to cooperate
Middle English dissencioun, from Old French dissension, from Latin dissēnsiō, dissēnsiōn-, from dissēnsus, past participle of dissentīre, to dissent; see dissent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)