American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The shedding of blood, especially the injury or killing of people.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The shedding or spilling of blood; slaughter; destruction of life: as, “deadly bloodshed,”
- n. The shedding of one's own blood; specifically, the death of Christ.
- n. A bloodshot condition or appearance; an effusion of blood in the eye.
- n. The shedding or spilling of blood.
- n. A slaughter; destruction of life, notably on a large scale.
- n. obsolete The shedding of one's own blood; specifically, the death of Christ.
- n. obsolete A bloodshot condition or appearance; an effusion of blood in the eye.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The shedding or spilling of blood; slaughter; the act of shedding human blood, or taking life, as in war, riot, or murder.
- n. the shedding of blood resulting in murder
- n. indiscriminate slaughter
- blood + shed (Wiktionary)
“An _arrière pensée_ should lie hidden in all minds -- a holy reserve as to cases which _may_ arise similar to such as HAVE arisen, where a merciful bloodshed [Footnote: "_Merciful bloodshed_" -- In reading either the later religious wars of the”
“And they stick to the idea that bloodshed is needed to achieve something good.”
“Therefore it seems that a showdown and perhaps bloodshed is unavoidable, to be recorded by the international press teams aboard the “Freedom Flotilla.””
“In Yemen, the tribe comes first, and once tribal blood starts to spill, the bloodshed is hard to stop.”
“It will end in bloodshed and death, in a grand finale where shots will be fired.”
“Continued bloodshed is taking place in the markets with yet another bank, the Silver Falls Bank of Silverton, Oregon, failing last Friday and no doubt another or eight will be thrown on the bon fire tonight when the FDIC Ninjas descend.”
“During her opening remarks she called the "bloodshed completely unacceptable.”
“People think the bloodshed is going to stop with Obama your wrong, its going to take time.”
“Time to head off yet another round of deadly bloodshed is short, but not yet lost.”
“The part about taking an active role in solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (the tyranny and near genocidal military occupation of the Palestinians) and the associated bloodshed is right on target.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bloodshed’.
Words containing "she" but excluding words beginning with "she"
Words that have been smashed together.
Looking for tweets for bloodshed.