from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Extreme privation; suffering.
- n. A cause of privation or suffering. See Synonyms at difficulty.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Difficulty or trouble; hard times.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is hard to bear, as toil, privation, injury, injustice, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Severe labor or want; suffering or excessive toil, physical or mental; adversity; affliction; also, anything that exacts physical or mental endurance.
- n. Hard treatment; injury; oppression; injustice.
- n. Synonyms Trial, burden, grievance, trouble.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of misfortune or affliction
- n. something that causes or entails suffering
- n. something hard to endure
From Middle English herdschipe, hardischipe, equivalent to hard + -ship. (Wiktionary)