American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of humiliating; degradation.
- n. The state of being humiliated or disgraced; shame.
- n. A humiliating condition or circumstance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of humiliating or humbling, or the state of being humiliated; abasement; mortification.
- n. The act of humiliating or humbling someone; abasement of pride; mortification.
- n. The state of being humiliated, humbled or reduced to lowliness or submission.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of humiliating or humbling; abasement of pride; mortification.
- n. The state of being humiliated, humbled, or reduced to lowliness or submission.
- n. depriving one of self-esteem
- n. state of disgrace or loss of self-respect
- n. strong feelings of embarrassment
- n. an instance in which you are caused to lose your prestige or self-respect
- From Late Latin humiliatio, from humiliare ("to humiliate"); see humiliate. (Wiktionary)
“_humiliation_, -- a humiliation that would cut him to the very heart!”
“In addition to the term humiliation, the author also noted that "Pilatus 'fall from the top of the pop world was steeper than any that had ever occurred before.”
“From Jackie Kennedy to Hillary Clinton to Silda Spitzer, the woman who embodied the word "humiliation" standing by her husband, former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer, as he confessed his involvement with a prostitution ring.”
“In fact, he says he will not agree to what he calls the humiliation of being prosecuting abroad.”
“In Christ becoming like man is what we call the humiliation of the Incarnation, and in that lies the great secret of redemption and reformation.”
“Hundreds of Mubarak supporters protested outside the courtroom over what they called "humiliation" of the former leader.”
“The word "humiliation" is rooted in the Latin word humus, which means "dirt.”
“III. xii --- Antony in humiliation contingency send a tiny schoolmaster to bargain with Octavius.”
“Any who wondered how much of a fresh start the administration would seek after its midterm humiliation will want to take note of Ray LaHood's continued presence as Transportation secretary.”
“I feel so sorry for his wife and family – humiliation is bad enough, but to have to deal with this publically is horrible.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘humiliation’.
Nice ambient words from the movie. (With apologies to Patrick O'Brian.) Aaaah, life at sea...aboard a hulk of the British navy in 1805...
Some words of from XTC songs that I like or for some reason stand out. That and a dollar will get you a ride on the bus.
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
List of characters and character names found in the poetry of John Bunyan (1628-1688). With some place names thrown in for good measure.
Words that important in understanding, thinking about and writing about the novel 'Parvana' by Deborah Ellis.
Looking for tweets for humiliation.