from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act which belittles; disparagement.
- n. The act of derogating; the temporary or partial nullification of a law.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of derogating, partly repealing, or lessening in value; disparagement; detraction; depreciation; -- followed by of, from, or to.
- n. An alteration of, or subtraction from, a contract for a sale of stocks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of impairing effect in whole or in part; limitation as to extent, or restraint as to operation: as, a statute in derogation of the common law must not be enlarged by construction.
- n. The act of impairing or seeking to impair merit, reputation, or honor; a lessening of value or estimation; detraction; disparagement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a communication that belittles somebody or something
- n. (law) the partial taking away of the effectiveness of a law; a partial repeal or abolition of a law
Sorry, no etymologies found.