from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of disparaging, of belittling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Matching any one in marriage under his or her degree; injurious union with something of inferior excellence; a lowering in rank or estimation.
- n. Injurious comparison with an inferior; a depreciating or dishonoring opinion or insinuation; diminution of value; dishonor; indignity; reproach; disgrace; detraction; -- commonly with to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The matching of a man or a woman to one of inferior rank or condition, and against the rules of decency.
- n. Injury by union or comparison with something of inferior excellence.
- n. The act of undervaluing or lowering the estimation or character of a person or thing; the act of depreciating; detraction.
- n. Diminution of value or excellence; reproach; disgrace; indignity; dishonor: as, poverty is no disparagement to greatness.
- n. Synonyms Derogation, depreciation, debasement, degradation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of speaking contemptuously of
- n. a communication that belittles somebody or something
Sorry, no etymologies found.