from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process or act of stigmatizing.
- n. The production of stigmata upon the body.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of stigmatizing.
- n. The production of stigmata upon the body. See Stigma, 8.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stigmatizing, or the condition of being stigmatized; specifically, the supposed miraculous impression of the marks of Christ's wounds on the bodies of certain persons.
- n. The act, process, or result of producing, as by hypnotic suggestion, on the surface of the body points or lines which bleed.
- n. Also spelled stigmatisation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of stigmatizing
Out-of-wedlock birth was stigmatized, and stigmatization is a powerful means of regulating behavior, as any smoker or overeater will testify.
The French government, after months of rancorous debate, has pledged to pass a similar nationwide ban by September, a promise denounced by Muslims as "stigmatization" of their religion.
But it is manifestly evident that the very fact of convoking this meeting, of referring to the Roms or the gens du voyage, when certain individual Roms or gens du voyage have been responsible for certain crimes or misdemeanors, in short, of blaming a community for the actions of some of its members, invites a risk of collective stigmatization which is contrary to republican practices.
Mr. Kirchick gently chides John McCain for not criticizing his party's "stigmatization" of homosexuals, but that's exactly what Mr. Kirchick does to people who believe in traditional morality.
With this kind of stigmatization women's safety could be in real danger.
There must be strong political commitment to this and to stopping stigmatization, which is often more painful than the disease itself. "
Unspecified other damages must be paid for victims' "humiliation, degradation of their health, social stigmatization, risk of divorce, and possibility of HIV," presiding judge Col.
Family honor is held highest above all and living what we in the West call an "alternative lifestyle" will lead to social stigmatization.
Unlike other versions of St. Francis, Bellini's does not highlight the stigmatization.
And on the demand side policies such as criminalization, incarceration and stigmatization has not suppressed the use of illicit drugs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.