American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Strong criticism.
- n. A critical or censorious remark: "entertained serious animadversions concerning the U.S.S.R. and its behavior on the international scene” ( Adam B. Ulam).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or faculty of observing or noticing; observation; perception.
- n. The act of criticizing; criticism; censure; reproof.
- n. Synonyms Remark, comment, reprobation, reprehension.
- n. countable A criticism, a critical remark.
- n. uncountable The state or characteristic of being animadversive.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete The act or power of perceiving or taking notice; direct or simple perception.
- n. obsolete Monition; warning.
- n. Remarks by way of criticism and usually of censure; adverse criticism; reproof; blame.
- n. Archaic Judicial cognizance of an offense; chastisement; punishment.
- n. harsh criticism or disapproval
- Latin animadversiō, animadversiōn-, from animadversus, past participle of animadvertere, to turn the mind toward; see animadvert. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The steps for accelerating the Catholic emancipation passed without animadversion from the English Ministry; but the dismissal of Mr. Beresford, and his adherents, gave great of - fence to the Cabinet of London.”
“For centuries, women writers were sweepingly dismissed on the basis of gender, as in Nathaniel Hawthorne's notorious animadversion against the "damned mob of scribbling women" robbing him of the sales he felt he deserved.”
“Of late, however, as the Protestant doctrines gained ground, he had found it convenient to live in close retirement, and to avoid, as much as possible, drawing upon himself observation or animadversion.”
“Reyberts, cut dead by the handsome Estelle, found themselves the objects of so much animadversion on the part of the adherents of the Moreaus that their position at Presles would not have been endurable without the thought of vengeance which had, so far, supported them.”
“Even his comparison of St. Ignatius to Cæsar, and Xavier to Alexander, passed without animadversion; it was tolerated as a flower of rhetoric.”
“The story of Jaddus would be entitled to our respect — it would be beyond the reach of animadversion — were even any shadow of it to be found in the sacred writings; but as they do not make the slightest mention of it, we are quite at liberty to see that it is ridiculous.”
“I am contented with my fortunes, spectator e longinquo, and love Neptunum procul a terra spectare furentem: he is ambitious, and not satisfied with his: but what  gets he by it? to have all his life laid open, his reproaches seen: not one of a thousand but he hath done more worthy of dispraise and animadversion than commendation; no better means to help this than to be private.”
“That Charles the Fifth5 was crowned upon the day of his nativity, it being in his own power so to order it, makes no singular animadversion: but that he should also take King Francis6 prisoner upon that day, was an unexpected coincidence, which made the same remarkable.”
“But, affecting as my own circumstances are, I cannot pass by, without animadversion, the reflection I need not repeat in words.”
“I put them to mark the places which call for vengeance upon the vixen writer, or which require animadversion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘animadversion’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A lexicographical taste of his novels.
These are words from The Life of Samuel Johnson, LL. D. Comprehending an Account of His Studies and Numerous Works, in Chronological Order; a Series of His Epistolary Correspondence and Conversatio...
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
Looking for tweets for animadversion.