American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sweeping blow or stroke.
- n. Informal A critical remark.
- n. A lever, especially one that raises the bucket in a well.
- v. To hit with a sweeping motion.
- v. To pass (a swipe card) through an electronic reader.
- v. Informal To steal; filch. See Synonyms at steal.
- v. To make a sweeping stroke.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strike with a long or wide sweeping blow; deliver a hard blow or stroke with the full swing of the arms; strike or drive with great force.
- To drink, or drink off, hastily.
- n. Same as sweep, 10.
- n. A hard blow; a stroke with the full swing of the arms, as in cricket or golf.
- To snatch; steal by snatching; steal.
- v. transitive To steal or snatch.
- v. transitive To scan or register by sliding something through a reader.
- v. intransitive To grab or bat quickly.
- n. countable A quick grab, bat, or other motion with the hand or paw; A sweep.
- n. countable A strong blow given with a sweeping motion, as with a bat or club.
- n. countable, informal A rough guess; an estimate or swag.
- n. uncountable Poor, weak beer; small beer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A swape or sweep. See sweep.
- n. A strong blow given with a sweeping motion, as with a bat or club.
- n. Slang, Eng. Poor, weak beer; small beer.
- v. To give a swipe to; to strike forcibly with a sweeping motion, as a ball.
- v. Slang, U.S. To pluck; to snatch; to steal.
- n. a sweeping stroke or blow
- v. strike with a swiping motion
- v. make off with belongings of others
- Perhaps variant of sweep. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“To swipe from a southern naming tradition, the daughter usually gets her paternal grandmother’s maiden name as a middle name.”
“The Fed proposal would cap the debit-card transaction fees, also called swipe fees or interchange fees, at 12 cents per transaction, a significant drop from the current 44-cent-per-transaction average that would eat into banks' debit-card fee profits.”
“With banks standing to receive 50% less revenue from so-called swipe fees because of the regulations, they could pressure Visa and MasterCard to lower other fees the banks pay the processors for their services, analysts say.”
“The proposed rule, which limits the so-called swipe fee that debit-card issuers charge merchants, has been a flashpoint in the fight over financial regulations.”
“Last year, 10 state treasurers successfully prodded lawmakers to shield prepaid debit cards from part of the Dodd-Frank financial-overhaul law that limits so-called "swipe fees" charged to retailers.”
“The Fed put out a draft proposal in December, which would cap so-called swipe fees to 12 cents.”
“It would limit so-called swipe fees at 12 cents per debit-card transaction, a significant cut from the average of 44 cents.”
“The financial industry seems to be turning to Plan B: urging the Fed to revamp its plan to limit the debit-card fees known as swipe fees or interchange fees.”
“To look up a word or add a note or highlight a passage, you hold your finger down on a word or swipe the full passage.”
“These questions are part of an increasingly heated debate about so-called swipe fees, the estimated $48 billion that merchants pay to banks and credit card companies for the use of those ubiquitous terminals in every shop from convenience stores to luxury retail emporiums.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘swipe’.
Great words to teach you how to write a fight scene - and for those writers who want to get the old gears of the mind cranking, here's a few fight scene tips to get you started - this is NOT by me,...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
synonymous with steal.
Innovative tech in mobile devices - including new categories - encourages new language around mobile interfaces, software, hardware, and peripherals, for consumers and techs alike.
just the next words that come along
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for swipe.