American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make too low an estimate of the quantity, degree, or worth of.
- n. An estimate that is or proves to be too low.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To estimate at too low a rate; not to value sufficiently.
- n. An estimate or valuing at too low a rate.
- v. transitive To perceive (someone or something) as having a lower value, quantity, worth etc. than what it actually has.
- n. An estimate or perception that is too low.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To set too low a value on; to estimate below the truth.
- n. The act of underestimating; too low an estimate.
- n. an estimation that is too low; an estimate that is less than the true or actual value
- v. make a deliberately low estimate
- v. assign too low a value to
- v. make too low an estimate of
- under- + estimate (Wiktionary)
“One point you may underestimate is how deeply liberals believe that rich-getting-richer really is hurting the middle class and how the middle class, too, is deserving of lots of social help — if not total egalitarian-type redistribution.”
“This is crucial, because it shows that the leaders again underestimate the intelligence of the people, including their moderate supporters.”
“That works out to just over $8/gal to generate $800 billion/yr in revenue in the very short term, but a long-term underestimate given that an $8/gal tax would lower demand considerably.”
“We "underestimate" the brick-and-mortar bookshop, not overestimate it.”
“But for BAA to "underestimate" the time it takes to deice a stand...”
“Look, I'm not trying to "underestimate" Obama -- I'm perfectly well aware that my comments here are hardly going to determine the spin in this race.”
“People kind of underestimate the risks involved in some of these [green-tech] companies," said Neil Rimer,”
“How the HELL do you "underestimate" the "power" of a dozen NCs and their leaders, none of which can break out of the sub-1 percent club, in terms of stakeholder voting and participation.”
“Junior Apprentice candidates not to "underestimate" her.”
“The authors of the study urge fellow Germans not to "underestimate" right-wing sentiment.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘underestimate’.
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Looking for tweets for underestimate.