from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Humiliating, degrading, or abusive treatment.
- n. A source of offense, as to a person's pride or sense of dignity; an affront.
- n. Obsolete Lack of dignity or honor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. degradation, debasement or humiliation
- n. an affront to one's dignity or pride
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any action toward another which manifests contempt for him; an offense against personal dignity; unmerited contemptuous treatment; contumely; incivility or injury, accompanied with insult.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Unworthiness; shamefulness; base character or conduct.
- n. Contemptuous conduct unjustly directed toward another; any action designed to lower the dignity of another; injury accompanied with insult.
- n. Synonyms Insult, Indignity, etc. (see affront); contumely, slight, disrespect, dishonor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an affront to one's dignity or self-esteem
French indignité, from Old French, from Latin indignitās, from indignus, unworthy; see indign.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)