from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To soil or stain.
- n. A stain or spot of dirt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To soil, stain or smudge
- n. A stain, smudge or blot
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stain; a dirty spot.
- transitive v. To blacken with smoke, soot, or coal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To blacken with smoke, soot, or the like; smudge.
- n. A black spot; a black stain; a smudge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a smudge on; soil by smudging
Perhaps alteration of smudge.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)